Thursday, October 30, 2014

Port Salut


This morning I went to New Season's to browse for my next cheese, hoping to find something rich and creamy. I was pleased that they had so many varieties available! I spent some time browsing through the display and of course, (let's be real) Googling the kinds that seemed appealing to me. I found some good information on Port Salut and decided to give it a try!




Port Salut comes from the Loire Valley, France. It is semi-soft and creamy with a bright orange rind. The rind can be eaten. but it's made of wax, so I'm not sure why you would want to. I didn't eat any of it. It is described as having a strong odor, but a mild, pleasant taste.

 I expected to really like it, since Brie is my favorite. Well maybe that's why I was disappointed; I shouldn't have expected it to be like brie just because it was creamy. Rookie mistake! It did have a mild flavor, but I didn't really like the texture. It was almost rubbery. I looked online and many reviews said that it paired really well with fruit. I sliced up an apple and tasted the combo, I definitely preferred it with the apple.



It was lunch time (yay!) so I decided to make a grilled cheese with my Port Salut. I made it with rustic sourdough bread, apples, and black pepper and it was divine! The only thing that was missing was some salt. I since made a second one with prosciutto and it was, in all of it's ooey-gooey, sweet and savory glory, absolutely PERFECT!




So, the only thing I'm wondering now is: What cheese should I buy next?

No comments:

Post a Comment