Monday, October 27, 2014

Monger's Choice

I don't know about you, but getting to try new cheeses really makes me excited! I often feel overwhelmed when I'm at the cheese counter, but hey,that's why I started this blog. I want to learn about cheese! I decided the best approach would be honesty. If I look like a fool to the monger, than so be it. At least I'll step away with some new information right? Well hopefully!

This weekend I went to The Cheese Bar on SE Belmont. My excitement quickly turned into nervousness as I approached the counter. There were so many choices! Mounds of goat, cow and sheep's milk cheeses; blues, cheddars, soft ripened cheeses galore! I quickly started making conversation with my friend, Natasha, hoping she could give me some guidance before I had to interact with the monger herself. "What can I get for you?"



Well, I wanted to be honest right? "I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm extremely overwhelmed by all of this," is what came out of my mouth as I motioned to the piles of cheese. Lucky for me, The woman behind the counter was very polite and helpful. She recommended that I start by ordering one of their cheese boards and handed me a menu. I'm so happy I did! I tried some delicious new cheeses and it took all of the tough decisions out of play.

The cheese boards on their menu are "Monger's choice". You select what type of board you want from their menu (Cheese board, soft-ripened board, stinky board, blue board, etc.) and the monger cuts about an ounce of each cheese they select for you. It's a great way to sample new cheeses you may have never tried before, and the selection varies frequently.




I ordered the regular Cheese Board and Natasha ordered the Neal's Yard Board. My board came with a cow, goat and sheep's milk cheese with chutney and crostini. Natasha's came with three cheddar cow's milk cheeses and the extras as well. It was definitely fun to be able to taste multiple varieties and compare with one another. I recommend going with a friend!

Neal's Yard Board
My favorite cheese was the Lincolnshire Poacher from the Neal's Yard Board. It had a smooth, dense texture and had an irresistible tangy flavor! It also had the little bits of crunchy crystals inside, which I absolutely love. I had to buy some of this to take home and it was quickly devoured.

Cheese Board
 All in all, I had a great experience at The Cheese Bar! If you are overwhelmed by the selection, or just want to try something new, go with a cheese board and let the cheesemonger decide for you. I definitely plan on going back and sampling some more varieties. I'll be sure to keep you updated. In the mean time, check out their website!
Take a look!


No comments:

Post a Comment