Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Crystals are a Girl's Best Friend





 Who doesn't love crystals?
And Unicorns?




Okay, so I wasn't actually talking about those kinds of crystals. Sometimes I get a little carried away. I actually meant these crystals!




I know I keep raving about how much I love those little crystals in my cheese, but seriously... They are the best thing ever! But what are they exactly? Well, I did some research online and I found that they are actually Tyrosine clusters. They form during the aging process of the cheese when proteins begin to break down.

Now, washed rind cheeses are a different story. Those are often residual pieces of salt from the brine on the outside of the cheese. If the rind and inside is eaten in one bite, they can be mistaken for Tyrosine clusters.




No comments:

Post a Comment